Wednesday, March 11, 2009

A GREAT MESSAGE

The Elizabeth Ide PTO treated us to a wonderful assembly today - "Ease the Tease". This assembly, put on by Imagination Theater of Chicago, taught the students some wonderful ways to handle being teased, as well as showing how teasing hurts others. They role played incidents that frequently occur on the bus, at recess, in the lunchroom and even took ideas from our students. They gave our students 8 ways to handle someone teasing them and I have outlined them below.

See the future Ide actors at work (Berkay, Emily, Adrian, Samantha and Jordan).


1) IGNORE- Ignore the tease and walk away

2) TAKE IT AS A COMPLIMENT - Say "Thanks!" and walk away.

3) ANSWER WITH A COMPLIMENT - Wow! You're good at that!

4) AGREE WITH THE FACTS - Yes I am bad at basketball.

5) USE AN "I" MESSAGE - I feel sad when you tease me.
6) SAY "SO" - Say so without emotion or anger.
7) USE SELF-TALK - Think "I know I'm being teased"; "I'm not going to let the teaser know I'm upset"; "I'm smart and I can handle this."
8) REPORT IT TO AN ADULT

No comments: